Finished the step outline for Act 2 this morning. Ten pages of summary notes that will take me through the plot to the point of the crisis, where the killer is revealed. Then Act 3 will be catching murderer, learning backstory, and denoument of various threads.
During my sick leave from the WIP, I was having some doubts about my antagonist. Was it too easy to spot this murderer? What could I do to throw readers off the obvious trail? I wasn’t getting any answers, so I just figured I’d enjoy writing the fun scenes I had planned before illness threw me a curve ball. An answer about how to divert attention from my antagonist would reveal itself eventually.
So this morning, before I even got out of bed, I relaxed there for awhile plotting out my next scenes. (I love to do this and recommend it highly). I thought of some specific ideas for the fun scenes, then I got up and wrote them into my outline.
After I wrote out everything I’d already planned, I figured I’d be done for the day. But then out of the blue popped an idea for a red herring. It was perfect. It made sense. It’s the next place the mystery part of the plot has to go. So I outlined that and everything clicked into place.
Love when that happens!