First up, thank you to all the people who sent KDP advice via FB, email, and this website. It’s great to know so many of you care. Now the update. Al and I worked all weekend loading and deleting my novel from the Kindle Direct Publishing site. We ran into a few problems, but thought we had solved everything by Saturday night. So we published it and went to bed.
Sunday morning, I was able to purchase the book so I could get a look at it on my Kindle. Even though we had previewed it, it still wasn’t right. There were tears. Mine, not Al’s. I knew it was stupid to cry over something so small and didn’t want to go into some big drama over it. I pulled myself together and for the second time pulled the book from Amazon. Then I took a six hour nap.
I told Al I was done. This was going to be a dream that would not happen. I felt like I was in way over my head. Like in Algebra class in college when I sweated out every exam because I’d never bothered to take pre-algebra in high school. This was the same thing: I followed all the steps in correct order, but the answer came out wrong anyway.
Voice of Reason
Al said “the worst that can happen is you’ll pay $75 and let Amazon put it up for you.” He was right. But I didn’t want anything to do with the project anymore. I was done. Even after he came home from work yesterday with yet another “simple” idea to make the project work. It took him four tries to explain it to me. Finally, I said, okay. If he wanted to work on it over another weekend, fine.
This week I am focusing on the book I have an actual contract for. I am doing what I know how to do: read, edit, write. It feels safe here.
Several folks emailed with ideas on what to do about my docx issue. Thanks so much! I’ll be reporting back the minute I get that Kindle book off the ground. Meanwhile, finished the new ending on The Paris Notebook. Wrote it in longhand, so I have to type it into the doc today.
As for Venus in the House of Love, that’s a quote from my horoscope today. And I AM feeling the love. So thanks again;-)
I just want to write. But there is more to publishing than writing. Especially self-publishing.
According to Amazon:
“A .docx file is a file from Microsoft Word 2007 that is not compatible with previous versions of Word. At this time, documents in .docx format are not supported on KDP. If your content has been created in .docx format, please resave your document in .doc format and use the file to upload through KDP.”
Okay, so I have Word 2007 and they don’t have a doc option. It’s maddening. Al has 2010 and will get that loaded and try again. I’ve tried saving as a Web File with HTML but that doesn’t look so good either. Today I’ll see if saving it in Mobi will work out better. Now to install Mobi.
I sound like I know what I’m talking about and that scares me, lol. Things are moving nicely with the 20th century manuscript. But The Wild Rose Press doesn’t like docx either so I shall need to update.
What I learned from yesterday’s fiasco: Stress gives me a migraine. (I already knew that.) Sometimes it is best to drop a problem, watch a movie then get a good night’s sleep. (Knew that too.) Woke up feeling optimistic about fixing every issue with the Kindle upload, and without the urgent need to start working on it right away.
Here’s why: I started revising The Paris Notebook yesterday when I thought Sugar Shack had been added to Kindle with no problem. I finished half the book’s revisions my editor requested. I stopped at a point where I knew I had to add some pages, some depth, to my story. I figured I’d do that in the morning. I knew exactly what I needed to add and how to integrate it.
So, instead of jumping into the anxiety producing Kindle issue, I wrote a new scene, in longhand, in my notebook. It’s been a really long time since I generated a new scene for a story. It felt really good to do that, like I had reconnected to the reason I write.
After I finished that scene I decided to mix up my day, get some chores done early, and I’m probably going to read the rest of The Paris Notebook and edit as I go before I tackle the Kindle project again.
I know enough html to fix the paragraph indent problem. I can change the font in Word and add the cover image to the Word document. Really, that’s all I think I have to do. Well, that and preview.
Last report on Sugar Shack’s progress, I mentioned a little trouble with the cover. I checked back on the blog and saw that I’d made a cover image in 5 minutes for Paradise Fields with Picnik. Times have changed and there is no freeware that I could fine that did anything except frustrate me. Picnik charges $5 a month for the “enhanced” image tweaking tools. So I’ll try that.
And then in there I got the news about The Paris Notebook and had to take care of some stuff for that like mailing in my signed contract. I read through the contract and I have 30 days to turn in a revised Paris Notebook. I might have mentioned that the revisions are minimal at this point. There are other things to do around the book for the publisher, but they are simple tasks that don’t require a lot of time or effort.
Same thing with the Kindle upload. Lots of simple things to check off my list before I can actually get the book on the site. Well, except for the cover image. Tackling that again today.